Saturday, January 18, 2014

Visit with the Katy Amateur Radio Society


On Monday evening (January 13, 2014) I met with the members of the Katy Amateur Radio Society.

I originally contacted Jack (WB5KVV), the activities director, to see if they would let me attend and to float a fund raising idea I had by him. Mike (KA5OXA), the club's president, was gracious enough to let me address the group.

For those of you who are not aware, HAM or Amateur radio is a big part of our (the GEEK) Heritage. HAM operators, are in a sense not only the inventors of the hacker space concept, but the O.G. (Original Geeks) of modern times. They've been buying, building, experimenting and developing their own gear for a long time. There is a ton of overlap between our groups.

So it seemed like a natural thing to address the local club.

I got a lot more out of it that I gave. I ended up coming home a convert, signing up for a membership and as soon as I got home, I purchased the test prep material for my Technician's (N00b) license. The next exam for it is on February 15, 2014. If anyone is interested in study for it with me, please let me know.

Several members of the group gave me their email addresses, and I have been in touch with them, so hopefully we will see them at the upcoming pizza and lock pick meeting at Rosa's.

If you are interested please visit their website or go to one of their meetings, they are great folks. Memberships in the Katy Amateur Radio Association are free for non-licensed members for up to a year. Once you have a license, you get your first year in the club for free.

Their website is http://www.katyars.co...­. They have their monthly meetings on the second Monday of every month at 7:30 pm. Directions are on the site.

There is some really cool stuff in the Amateur band and, if you have any interest in hacking in RF, getting your license will keep you legal. 'Cause Uncle Sam can get a bit grumpy sometimes.

That's it for now. Don't forget to Login at meetup.com. Get involved. Fill out an RSVP for our Monday, January 23rd (7PM) meeting at Rosa's Pizza (510 S. Mason Rd, Katy, TX 77450). Don't be lame.

Geek it 'till it MHz!

-D



No comments:

Post a Comment